Home > About Ann > Personal Background

Ann Albers - Personal Background

People frequently ask me about my upbringing... Was I raised spiritual? Did I always know I had gifts? When was my first encounter with angels? Here is my personal story to answer those questions.

I was born and raised in Arlington, Virginia where I spent the first twelve years of my life in a two bedroom apartment with my parents and younger brother, Paul. I had a vivid imagination, and loved to pretend I was a teacher. I was also fond of counseling my stuffed animals when they weren't getting along!

I adored being outdoors and I loved heights. I had vivid dreams of flying from an early age, and after discovering I couldn't actually fly in waking life (by jumping off a six-foot piece of playground equipment with wings outstretched) I climbed everything I could possibly scale including protruding bricks on the outside of the two story apartment building, and of course, trees... I have always loved the trees. An beautiful three-story pine became a friend, in which I spent hours looking out over the tops of the buildings and imagining I could still fly. I often did my homework amidst the fragrant branches, and occasionally shared a conversation with an inquisitive bird or a chattering squirrel. Somehow both of my parents survived my childhood!

Looking back I can see that I did have intuitive abilities although no one in my family recognized them as such. In my early reality, everything talked to me. I still has vivid memories of my imaginary friends, the voices of rocks asking me to pick them up and move them, conversations with trees, and long dialogues with everything else that seemed very real to me. My parents chalked it up to a healthy imagination and went along with my ramblings to humor me.

When I was twelve years old our family moved to a home in Falls Church, VA where my parents, Dave and Carol Nagel, still reside. Even after the move I spent as much time as possible outdoors, often in trees. A neighbor's maple tree substituted for the beloved pine I left behind, and when I couldn't be found, it was likely I was sitting high up in a fork created by three branches, doing my homework or simply thinking about life. As a young teen I also enjoyed roller skating, gymnastics, gardening, listening to music, writing, reading, and informal sporting matches with the neighbor kids. Later, I added poetry and photography to the repertoire, and even had a small darkroom in the basement where I could develop her own pictures. In my early teens, I got tired of all the voices in me head and told them very emphatically to leave me alone. A period of psychic silence ensued that would last into my mid-twenties.

My first job was a car wash business I started with a neighborhood friend. We charged $2 per car and split the take! Such a deal by today's standards! It was good hard work and we each netted $70 the first summer. My first "official" job was working at the neighborhood McDonalds. Sporting glasses, braces, rubber bands across my teeth, and a wearing a decidedly unfashionable rust and white striped polyester uniform, I decided I had to make up for what I lacked in looks with my personality. I remember the moment I made up my mind to overcome my shyness by pretending I was outgoing and friendly. The "fake it till you make it" attitude worked. My shyness finally disappeared for real.

My relationship with God was present as early as I can remember. One of my parents always came in to pray with us at night, and when I was around four years old my father spent a long time explaining the "Our Father" prayer to me line by line. I felt as if a great mystery had been decoded! I like the "Hail Mary" better because it was easier, although when I was very young, mom likes to share that I thought the words were, "Hail Mary full of grapes, the Lord is a tree..."!!!

From kindergarten to eighth grade, I attended The Cathedral School of St. Thomas Moore - a large Catholic Parochial school in Arlington, VA. Weekly mass was a mixture of boredom, fascination, and during the more important parts, a reverent space in which I felt my heart grow very large. One of my earlier mystical experiences occurred in second grade, when a reputedly miraculous statue of the Virgin Mary was brought to the church. I knew the statue didn't have any power - we had already learned about not worshiping false idols - but while praying in its presence, I felt my heart expand and I felt the presence and the love of Mary and Jesus there with me, as if they were two of my best friends. I felt the sweetest sensation in my heart and it was as if we were all moving in and out of each other. I fell in love with the rosary and prayed it so often that my Grandma liked to brag about how, after the kids were put to bed, we could be found praying quietly under the covers.

In high school, my relationship with God and the angels became more personal. I didn't fit in very well with the other kids, and to this day when parents bring me their sensitive young teens to talk to, my heart goes out to them. I understand all too well the desire not to fit in, the desire for kindness instead of teenage sarcasm, and the sadness that comes from being picked on because you aren't tough enough. And yet, looking back I wouldn't change a thing. A few insensitivities during the formative years are nothing now, compared to a lifetime of being sensitive.

Still, at the time it wasn't always easy. At night when I lay in bed watching the moon move across the panes of my window in the starry sky, I felt its light reflecting into my heart. I imagined that my angels were the friends I could talk to and I shared everything with them. I forgot that I had asked all the voices to remain silent, so they never talked back, but I could feel their love and comfort. Not knowing any better, I still thought it was my imagination, but I didn't care. It offered me solace. I was turning into a geek as well. My dad had a fascination with the workings of the mind, so I did my science fair projects on memory and dreams, and I immersed myself in my studies

My love of nature persisted, as well as my love of all creatures great and small. The baby birds we nursed back to health were welcome in the house but the baby mice had to be given to the neighborhood boys who were better at hiding them from their mothers than I! I adopted frogs, loved to read about raccoons, and petted and talked to just about every living thing I could find. I developed a green thumb while farming a small plot in my parents' garden, and I couldn't wait for family outings to one of the many local orchards. My favorite excursion was our annual autumn visit to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Beyond words, everything seemed vibrantly alive.

I didn't have a clue what I wanted to be when I grew up. It wasn't until my senior year in high school, at the very first party I attended, that the light began to shine on my path. At the party I had a very engaging discussion with a guy whose dad was a neurosurgeon. Brilliant! I already had a passion for the workings of the brain so it made sense that I should become a neuro-physiological researcher and unlock the secrets of the human mind! I was accepted into the University of Notre Dame and enrolled in the program for pre-med.

The desire was short lived. A few months into my first year in college, I realized I didn't want to be in school forever, so I switched majors to Electrical Engineering with a Computer Concentration. My relationship with God continued throughout college. I often attended morning mass, where I truly felt the presence of God. Other than that, I was fairly normal and enjoyed the weekend parties as much as my studies. I didn't get drunk however like most of the other good Catholic kids who were away from home for the first time! I was high on life! To make a long story short, I graduated with honors, moved to Phoenix, AZ and got a job with Sperry Flight Systems, now known as Honeywell Commercial Air Transport. I worked on flight computers for the McDonnell Douglas MD-80 airplane, and later on the cockpit displays for the Boeing 777.

The rest is the subject of my book, Whispers of the Spirit - a deeply personal and vulnerable account of the growth, lessons, and challenges that I faced in rediscovering who I really was. This profession didn't come easily to me. Although looking back, I had the seeds of teaching, counseling, and intuition within me, a great deal of personal growth was required to unearth the truths of my soul. I had to lose the identity I had worked very hard to form. I had to stop trying to please people. I had to learn to hear the voices once again and reconnect with the symbolic, symbiotic, and living presence that moves the universe. It wasn't easy. But it was worth every challenge I faced. I'm honored that Doreen Virtue - an Author and Angel Communicator that I hold in high esteem - read my manuscript years ago and said, "Ann Albers is an artist of emotions and spirit, & her canvas is her enthralling book. You will feel the stirring of deep memories & even experience healing, as you share Ann's spiritual journey in the pages of this book."

Today I live and work in sunny Phoenix, Arizona where I enjoys hiking, photography, crafting, teaching, spiritual counseling, writing, cooking, and variety of other activities that come and go as spirit moves me. I offer you you my life and my heart via my weekly newsletter, "Messages from Ann & the Angels," and in my books - both those already written and those waiting to be born.